Saturday, May 31, 2008

Field Day - take two - Shelby Style!

Remember how much I said I love field day? Well, I still do...but...I must admit - I like the way our school does field day much better than my neice's.

Our field day consists of MANY volunteers manning stations that half the school rotates through. My neice's...well...they had MANY MANY stations and no volunteers manning them and the whole school had to rotate through the stations with the teachers making sure the kids knew what to do.

Our school - total time about about 2 and 1/2 hours. for each of the morning and afternoon sessions...their school's time about 5 1/2 hours. I AM FRIED! But - the highlight of the day - watching my beautiful neice have so much fun with her friends and getting wet, wet, wet.

Their school has an amazing thing called "The Dad's Club" - of which my brother-in-law, Matt, is a part of. They went around ALL DAY spraying the kids with their water guns, keeping them cool, wet and silly! It was seriously hot - about 95 degrees. There was a breeze but there was lots of pavement and standing around and oh yeah...did I already say I AM FRIED! Now I can handle sun and heat (Destin, FL, BEACH BUM - about 12 years and running for summer vacation) but for some reason - I AM DONE IN.

We have our staff company picnic on Saturday and I am already planning to find some shade and SIT!

Anyway - back to my neice...Last year I planned to go to Shelby's field day but there was a shooter on the loose. You heard me right...a shooter on the loose. I was on my way to my sister's house and a policeman stopped me. They had blocked off her neighborhood and were not letting anyone in or out. A gunman had tried to rob and kill the owner of some type of metal shop or something close to where my sister lived (and where the elementary school is). Well, I called my sister and told her what was going on and that she should stay in the house and make sure all the windows and doors were locked. Then I headed to my neice's school. Got there - and they had locked it down! About 5 minutes before I got there. I would have loved to have been locked in with my neice - not locked out. UGH! So, I headed to my parent's house - about 15 minutes away and watched the news, etc...all day...until I went to pick up my neice. A much longer story cut short - the gunman got away and the kiddos went home late that evening. (My brother-in-law is a pilot and was on the west coast that day :( )
So...I went to field day this year and loved it. But after the fact...well...I'm just pooped out. I may have to skip next year and go the following year instead. Which is cool because that will be her last year in elementary school and then - no field day...boo...
SHOUT OUT SHELBY - Love you!
Okay - so without further ado - here are some pics...ENJOY!

Shelby - getting wet & playing tug-o-war.


Once Shelby got to the end of where she had to peddle to she had to put on this hat from a bucket full of water - oh yeah - teacher standing there dousing everyone with a water hose too. And...Matt with his big ole water gun...

My brother-in-law, Matt, and his double barrel monster water gun!

Me and Shelby.